Saturday, February 6, 2010

SNOW!! SNOW!!! SNOW!!!

Well for anybody not in the Northeast just wanted to inform you that we got hammered with snow overnight. Central Pennsylvania got 14-20 inches depending on where you are. The fun part comes next when the wind blows for the next day. Huge drifts coming our way. After all the shoveling is done it makes it a fun day to spend time in the greenhouse. Here is what is going on in my greenhouse.
















The above is a picture of a succulent that I am not entirely sure what it is. When babies were given to me they called it burro's ears. Anybody out there know what its Latin name is. It blooms every winter in the greenhouse and then dies. Then I replant one of it hundreds of babies and start the process all over again.





Below we have my collection of amaryllis. Every year I buy a few after season when they go on sale and you can get them for a buck a piece at Lowe's. A few years ago I potted them up to see what would happen. Looking back I wish I would have picked a prettier pot, maybe I'll repot this year. Now every year they bloom profusely and every year I am amazed that they came back and some of the first bulbs are like 7 inches in diameter. It's ridiculously awesome. I'm not usually a bulb grower but it is quite rewarding.





There is plenty more but that is all for now. I have to go clean up snow!!!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Stella you sure got some snow there to clear plus you have a great size of greenhouse. I think I know what your succulent is - its Sedum Burrito or what they call here Burros Tails. The pink flowers are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the info. I usually get alot of my plants through trades and such so I'm never quite sure what they are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you really got slammed with the snow too. I am quite over this snow event thing. LOL! I am anxious to see all of our amaryllis in bloom from the pot. Looks like good weather to spend in the greenhouse for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. On the NOID plant -- maybe Kalanchoe gastonis-bonnierei? I think I've heard of it being called something-ears.

    ReplyDelete